Wednesday, April 20, 2011

In My Easter Bonnet

Easter is a time of renewal, rebirth, reaffirming faith. Most of my early life, the Sunday meant dressing for church, coming home to find hidden baskets, and family gathering. And hats and gloves. I love hats. Even after the Kennedys stopped wearing hats, I wore them. My sisters tell me I overdress for every occasion, but I like costumes and the theatrical impact of clothing and attitude. We used to go downtown Detroit for brunch at Fishbone's. That's where you'd find the most sumptuous of Easter finery, along with great food. The Easter brunch I'm fondly remembering, I wore this hat with a navy blue suit, hot pink heels, and an orange blouse. We were enjoying our meal when a woman put her hand on my shoulder and leaned in. I had to duck some - she was wearing a gorgeous cream, pearled suit and an enormous confection of a hat that looked like the Battleship Potemkin with feathers and icing. She whispered in my ear "honey, I cannot tell you how brave you are to wear that hat." Now, that's an Easter bonnet!

No comments:

Post a Comment