Monday, January 24, 2011

Quantum Mechanics for the Soul

Reading Michio Kaku's Physics of the Impossible and enjoying it. This is the 6th physics book I've touched in the last 6 months. I didn't finish one because the author worshipped mathematics the way I worship dark chocolate. Mathematics starts squirming when abandoned at the edge of the multiverse during a playdate with both the cosmos and the atomic realm. Physicists are writing books for people who are curious while science-impaired by combining theoretical physics with pop culture, a grand idea. Dr. Kaku does triptychs of Star Trek, theoretical physics, and E.T. I put a hold on a new book by Brian Greene, author of The Elegant Universe, titled The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos. Greene wrote of parallel universes like magic carpet layers. Read an excerpt on npr today, and when my head stopped orbiting my neck, I drew this picture. Infinite mirror images + flipbook at faster than the speed of light. Don't know why this came to mind, but maybe I'll mention it to my therapist. Greene thinks the Large Hadron Collider will help prove or disprove his multiverse theory by measuring the energy lost [POOF!] which we all know can't happen, so it will have gone somewhere not here. I just hope the lost energy they're creating doesn't end up in my basement. I do not know why I'm fascinated by physics, quantum mechanics, string theory and the search for the Grand Unified Theory that will close the chasm created in the Laws of Everything by sticking the probability thumb in the pie. Maybe it's because I wanted to be an alien when I was a kid, and I'm still trying to figure out how I can still do that. Maybe "what if?" is a lifelong favorite question. Perhaps, like physicists who work at finding the Last Law, I'm looking for some endpoint. I think we'll all be disappointed. Whether the universe is infinite, or just pretends to be, how can we apply enough proof-laden theories to cover infinity? Perhaps the universe is concurrently too big and too small to grasp in our human brains. Maybe it's because I think the Grand Unifying Theory is already known, but physics, mathematics, string theory and quantum mechanics are all barking up the wrong science book. Meanwhile, I get to enjoy good reading, and entertain myself with puns and tshirt sayings. Today's: String Theory is Fringe Science. Remember Physicists Like p-Branes? Whatever makes us laugh, makes the world a better place: yet another experiment that unfortunately cannot be duplicated in the lab.

No comments:

Post a Comment