Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Green Heron, American Bittern, Night Heron

Up at 5 a.m., I walked early, visiting one of my favorite green water habitats. One day I'll figure out if it's a marsh, bog, or fen, or a Michigan swamp. There were lots of birds, the frogs were social networking. Saw birds I haven't seen before. A few I found in my field guide as American Bitterns. One youngster came to join me on the rail. An unafraid juvenile, this was either a Green Heron or a black- or yellow-crowned Heron. He stared at me for awhile, and then half-flew, half-flopped off to the next adventure. A Great Blue Heron watched us all from the top of a skinny dead tree. She would have been perfectly camouflaged, except I saw her fly over there. One of the birds had a short, sharp bark, like a duck but higher-pitched. I wished them all a good breakfast, and went home for my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment