Monday, July 18, 2011

Borders Books: Adieu

Since 1971 Borders Books has been my bookstore. I liked its casual atmosphere, there was one near where I lived always, and the Ann Arbor flagship store had great author book signings. All the books I have signed I got at Borders Books in Ann Arbor. Every magazine I bought, I paid for at Borders. Today is a sad day for me, for 11,000 employees who will soon be out of work, and for the great enterprise whose management didn't see the future until it was crashing on their heads. The indies and antiquarians will get my paper book business. Nicola's Books and Crazy Wisdom in Ann Arbor are still there, and hopefully will gain customers. Everybody Reads in Lansing is still there and will have new clients, too. Reclaiming the book buyers that B&N and Borders took away will be a good result of a sad event. A Wayne State University bankruptcy lawyer told the Detroit Free Press that physical bookstores are a thing of the past. Not yet. Maybe one day. And on that same day bankruptcy lawyers will be a thing of the past, too. Good-bye Borders Books. I'll miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment