Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Stop Michigan HIB-6319

Michigan has beautiful rivers, Great Lakes, and paddle-worthy streams that attract tourists and seasonal residents who spend their vacation money in Michigan. Rep. Richard Ball (R) introduced a bill to require registration of canoes and kayaks in Michigan. He has since un-endorsed his own Bill, but the Tourism Committee is mulling it still. Our neighboring States have no such registration, as do 40 of the 51 States and DC. This Bill is bad for Michigan, bad for tourism, bad for small business (paddling sports) and bad for my attitude. A similar Bill was defeated soundly 20 years ago, and needs to be again. This is lousy legislation and a bureaucratic nightmare. Kill House Bill HIB-6319. Write your Representative, find that person at the Michigan government site. Less government! Not bigger government! Carry registration papers? If I remember to carry my car keys, I'm a lucky woman. I picture an enforcer, standing on a riverbank, trying to pull me over: first high speed chase on a no-wake river. I'll match my paddle against that gendarme's legs in the water any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment