Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Bicycle Journals - Great Egrets

Great Egrets (Ardeidae), Casmerodus albus. Finally identified by searching white wading bird + yellow bill + black legs. Neither crane nor heron, as I've misidentified these beauties before. Flies with neck in "S" curve, like the heron. Lucky me to catch one in flight! The others quickly followed. I bicycled to my next favorite green swamp (with a wooden walkway over) and arrived just as 6 hot air balloons were moving in from the right, and one of the flying Great Egrets was winging from the left. More luck! I dropped my bike, got out the camera, tiptoed toward the confluence. Balloons and birds coming into frame - I was shivering with excitement. The closest balloon belched, a kajillion dogs started barking - the egret took off. Bye-bye National Geographic prize winning photograph. Next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment