Thursday, March 4, 2010

Women's History Month

March is Women's History Month. Wish there was more history to celebrate, so instead of wishing, I'm dedicating this month to putting some of our names and faces in history. National Women's History Project is calling this month's attention "Writing Women Back into History."

Women's Media Center is asking for donations to continue their excellent work: $30 to support their 30 Women Making History project. There is a video called "Celebrate Academy Award Nominated Women!" You can sign a petition on the site to have more women nominated next year. More importantly, you can finish your own movie to be nominated. Or start it this April at ScriptFrenzy.

You want to watch the video. It's goose-bumping.

Carolynne Cunningham is nominated for Best Picture as producer "District 9," and credited in the video. Cool! But wait! I checked Wikipedia, and there was Peter Jackson, Producer. Only. I signed up as an editor on Wikipedia, twitched and swore my way through their instructions and DOs and DON'T DAREs, and got Carolynne Cunningham's name on the entry. YAY US! There she is. I feel powerful and happy. I wrote a woman back into history.

Just read "Molly Ivins: A Rebel Life," and there is on page 141 reference to Myra MacPherson, MSU-educated journalist. There is NO Wikipedia entry for Myra MacPherson. Not much about her at all except as author of a book about I.F. Stone. I want to know about Myra MacPherson, MSU alumnus. I'll find her this month and celebrate her.

More celebrating to come! YAY US!

No comments:

Post a Comment