Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Admirable Women Part I

Blog rebirth requires a ceremony of intention and I intend to celebrate admirable women on this blog; from history, from next door, from family, and imagination. Women who have lived exemplary lives, inspired us, and hugged us silly, either because we know them, love them, or because we are moved by what they accomplished.

Shirley was my best friend Beckie's grandmother. She was a woman who lived by her own rules that began with "right thinking" which, to me, meant both high moral ground and common sense combined. She bought houses and made them homes for people she found who needed help and a roof over their heads. One of these women is now a chef, as is her daughter. Another is her adopted son. She always spoke her mind, wore what she wanted, scoffed at bravado and hooted at praise given her. What she did, she thought everyone should do.

And she loved the quiet Red, her husband, with open, fierce and beautiful passion.

She wore golf shoes in the winter ("I'm not breaking a hip!" she stated emphatically) and vibrant red lipstick and a demure headband. The drawing of her here is when she was in her 80s. I scanned the watercolor for this post, and I love that the water formed rays around her wonderful self. Just so does her brilliant energy live on.

She set an example for me that I will follow my whole life, and her lineage and soul were passed along to another woman I admire: her granddaughter Beckie.

No comments:

Post a Comment