Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Blaze Fury and Tommy Timlin

Two of my favorite people are on my mind today. I first met Blaze Fury and Tommy Timlin in 1969, and met Frances Parks, Blaze's mother, too.

Their world was fascinating. Costumes, show business, burlesque, famous entertainers. Kind, generous, happy with their work, knowing them was one of the finest experiences of my life. Backstage stories told by outstanding storytellers still echo in my mind.

Blaze said once "honey, when we find out what you can do, we're going to make you a star." Tommy watched over me like a father duck watches his swan-to-be.

When Blaze retired in the early 70s after a farewell performance at the Detroit Historical Museum, she worked wardrobe, as head and dresser at the Fisher Theatre, and other theatrical venues in Detroit, and the U.S.

In 1979, she was wardrobe head for a Cadillac dealers touring show. We joined her in New York in August, sharing her room at the Mayflower Hotel. Coming back from dinner at Tavern on the Green one night, we were surprised by cameras, crowds, police cordons around the hotel. We managed to get through, got to the room, threw open the window to watch the excitement. Godunov had defected, and the Bolshoi Ballet was staying at the hotel. We watched as a cab driver, leaning out his window, yelled to the spectators to find out what was holding up his cab.

"What?" he yelled. "The Russians are coming?"

"No," yelled someone from the crowd. "The Russians are GOING."

Blaze passed on in 1997, Tommy had moved on in the 70s. I love and miss them still.

At Blaze Fury's funeral, there was a life-sized cardboard theater prop of her, in her red sequined outfit next to the casket. The funeral was at Clyne Funeral Home, family friends. The organist played burlesque standards as we entered the small room. When the service was concluded, Dwight Clyne stood, thanked the guests, invited those attending to join the family for brunch, and asked us to stand and give Blaze Fury one more standing ovation.

13 comments:

  1. I'm touched to see this post. My grandmother was best friends with Blaze, they lived next door to each other from the time they both moved into the neighborhood in East Detroit in 1956 to the day she passed. Blaze, or Lucia as I knew her, was like a second grandmother to me. I have fond memories of sitting in her kitchen with her talking about life, as much as I could understand as a seven year old. Thank you for this! I will be sharing it with my grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I happened to work with the Timlin's son in Washington DC. I have sent him a link to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She was a wonderful Lady, I worked for her for a few years before she passed. Talking to Lucia was taking a walk back through time. I still have the autograph book from Rodney McDowell she gave me. I miss her terribly she was a good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the pleasure of working with Lucia, backstage at the Music Hall. She was amazing! I didn't realize she was Blaze Fury, the stripper my uncle would kid my mom about taking me to see her, until one day she mentioned it.One day, she brought in her scrapbook. It was amazing. She had a newspaper clipping of a Earl Wilson where he mentions her name. She was big time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first date I went on with her son, he said we were going to see his mother work. I had no idea! I thought we were going to visit backstage. She was performing for a veterans' benefit. So much fun knowing her, wasn't it?

      Delete
  5. I had the pleasure of working with Lucia, backstage at the Music Hall. She was amazing! I didn't realize she was Blaze Fury, the stripper my uncle would kid my mom about taking me to see her, until one day she mentioned it.One day, she brought in her scrapbook. It was amazing. She had a newspaper clipping of a Earl Wilson where he mentions her name. She was big time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blaze was my dresser when I did a production of Jesus Christ Superstar in 1993. She was the sweetest lady I've ever met. I played King Herod and wore Assless Chaps in the show and her only job was to fasten the chaps with 2 hooks located at the top of my " crack " ! When I turned around for her to fasten it the first time she exclaimed " I wish I had thought about this when I was performing ! " Later in another city I met her son Tim who as it happened was my dresser ! Every time I played that city years later ,even if Tim wasn't working that particular show he came to visit me ! Blaze was known as " THE HUMAN HEATWAVE " . I think of her often. Laurent Giroux

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Often imitated - never equaled." Thanks for sharing your story. She was so special!

      Delete
    2. THANK YOU ! I REMEMBERED THE PHRASE " OFTEN IMITATED " BUT COULDN'T REMEMBER THE REST ! If Tim should read this please send him my best ! Laurent Giroux

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry to tell you that Tim died last year. His wife Martha is still wardrobe head in D.C. at the national opera, I believe. I'm sure the family is together with the ultimate road company!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear that. He was a great guy. I last saw him in Dec. 2013 when I was doing a production of ELF THE MUSICAL at The Kennedy Center. He didn't work that production but heard I was in it and came to visit me !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another Blaze memory. The year after Tommy died she had his tap shoes mounted and put them under her white feather Christmas tree. http://lrdrobinson.blogspot.com/2010/12/blaze-white-feather-christmas-tree.html

    ReplyDelete