Thursday, August 20, 2009

The 60s at 60

40 years ago music was what I studied, sang, played, listened to, danced with, dreamed about. We're singing Air from the musical Hair in the picture. A cappella. "Welcome, sulfur dioxide..." I was then, and still am, a second alto, tall, and an environmentalist. I may still have those jeans. I can't sing a cappella any more. Maybe I'm still Tribal.

Every generation wraps their teen years in music; and unwraps their senior years in remembering the music.

I remember. The Grande Ballroom. Aretha Franklin. Robin Seymour. Bob Seger. Marvin Gaye. Smokey Robinson. Iggy and the Stooges. The Four Tops. The MC5. Teegarden and Van Winkle. Yusef Lateef. Detroit Symphony Orchestra. The Drum Beat at 8 Mile and Schoenherr. The Crow's Nest at 11 1/2 and John R. The Ann Arbor Blues Festival.

Whatever music your ears and your spirit craved, you could get to it in Michigan.

Leni Sinclair (Detroit Artists Workshop) and Gary Grisham made a book of the music scene in Detroit from 1965 to 1975. "DETROIT ROCKS! A Pictoral History of Detroit Rock and Roll" will feature Gary Grimshaw's artwork and Leni Sinclair's photographs including many never-before or rarely seen photos by Leni, and much of Gary's artwork that hasn't been seen in the last 30 or 40 years.

I can believe I'm 40 years older. I don't believe the music is.

No comments:

Post a Comment