Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Barb Barton


Perfect Sunday afternoon: Barb Barton playing music, good friends and chocolate-covered potato chips.

Barb Barton - http://www.barbbarton.com - is a gift wherever she is, but we were fortunate that she agreed to come to Holly for a private concert.

Home concerts are a booking dream, if your favorite artist[s] are amenable (which Barb is); you can round up some guests, give good directions: and if you've booked Barb, prepare yourself to be transported.

Barb's music is comfortable like a favorite tshirt, warm as a grandmother's hug, and when she's got something serious to say, as powerful as the Great Lakes that kiss our rocky, piney shores good morning and good night.

She described how she writes her poetry and then finds the music to go with; but as she began to strum the beginning bars of "Willow," she told us "this song came from somewhere else."

Somewhere else is where the poetry and the voice of Barb Barton take you. It's a place I love.

What's grand about Michigan is grand about Barb's music. Her guitar strings can reverberate and hum like the big trees in a summer wind, or whistle like shorebirds on the hunt. In her lyrics, you see the moon reflected on our copper rivers; the sun on a bleached log; the drifted snow sweeping a farm field; a morel mushroom keeping quiet company with the ash trees, nestled into autumn's fallen finery.

Hard as I've tried, I still cannot listen to "My Michigan/Letter to Joshua" without some tears.

Treat yourself to her website:

http://www.barbbarton.com

Mosey through the samples from the CDs. And book a concert! Barb's email is on the site. You will be as thrilled and transported as we were on Sunday.

We will be buying the newest CD with "Turtledove" just as soon as it is available, too.

Chocolate-covered potato chips? Get those while you can at Sweet Retreats in Milford, MI. Colleen will show you where they are, if they weren't whisked away already; right after she tells you "welcome."

2 comments:

  1. Barb Barton........ WOW, what a beautiful description of the worlds greatest person I have ever met. Letter to Joshua, the tears fall just repeating the title, he is my son, and there was never a greater gift she could have given him or myself. Seriously, if you want to get lost in an evening of adventure, laughter, a little sorrow and a pinch of pain, make sure you run to the next chance you get to see her perform. I promise I am not bias!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with all your beautiful comments. Barb is the most talented artist I know and she does sing and write from places within. Fortunate for me, I have had the pleasure of her music since the day I was born. I am her baby sister and she has been playing (and I do mean playing) the guitar since she was 4 years old. I am thankful to have her as my sister and am glad she is able to share her love of music and life with the world.

    ReplyDelete