Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Border's Books: Magazine Sections

Today I'm trying to catch up on my behindedness during National Novel Writing Month. Rather than duct tape my hands to the keyboard, like I should, I cleaned the bathroom, made lunch, tea, a mess, and several self-corrected dashes for distraction. I gathered all my journals for inspiration. I'm finding cool stuff, some fatuous nonsense, and Thoughts for Later. One observation I wrote on a piece of paper while wandering unsupervised through a Border's Books. A magazine aisle was titled "Men's Interests." This perhaps includes everything from cigars to blue dresses, but as many times as I circled the magazine aisles, never appeared its corresponding section "Women's Interests." Well. I circled again. What I found is a section called "Fashion & Health" in which rests Border's interpretation of the female range from cigars to blue dresses. Bizarre. I thought you'd think so, too. And then I went looking in my own aisles for the magazine I wanted to start - a magazine that covers real women/real interests. "All the muse says fit to print." No fashion. No anti-age creams, manage your portfolio articles, or getting The Big O. Note to reader: The Big O for Sister Ann meant that when she was gowned for her PhD in theology, and all the boys got ordained, she didn't. There you have it. Health & Fashion; bah, my blue dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment