Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Boot

2012. The movie. It's not just an awful movie (what was John Cusack thinking?) it's got misogynistic dialogue. While a plastic surgeon gropes his wife in the grocery store, and she says "hands off the merchandise," the groper sighs, "women pay thousands of dollars to have me handle their boobs, and you get it for free." Wow. Be still my heart. When asked by a plastic-enhanced patient how the wife met her surgeon chest-groping husband, the wife glances at her breasts and replies that it obviously wasn't the way the patient met him. Ugh. The Boot to anyone who put those lines in, and anyone who left that crap there. We need a scooper in Hollywood.

Marty Kaplan, an otherwise thoughtful writer, in a blog post yesterday, thanks President Obama for points made in his Saturday address: "He nailed Republicans for standing in the way of extending unemployment insurance, and for retailing the canard that a few hundred dollars a week will transform jobless Americans into welfare queens."

There are more men out of work than women. Are we talking gay men here? Did President Obama really say this? I doubt even a Republican said it.

It's too damn easy to leave this language laying about. Scoop it up, Kaplan, Hollywood. I'm not sure today if The Boot is kicking, or stomping. Excuse me while I clean my shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment