Monday, June 14, 2010

All Others Pay Cash

Browsing NPR's site today, I found a blog named 13.7 Cosmos And Culture. I'll be reading this blog. Intrigued, I searched "13.7." It's the estimated age of our universe. Then I searched "prestate" a word used in Stuart Kauffman's blog about co-evolving civilizations. The first definition (sponsored link?) was Merriam-Webster online. It's not usually my first choice because it doesn't offer audio pronunciation, synonyms or the like. But I was lazy, and clicked.

Merriam-Webster Online reads:

prestate, it turns out, isn't in the free Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, where you just searched.
However, it is available in our premium Merriam-Webster Unabridged Dictionary. To see that definition in the Unabridged Dictionary, start your FREE trial now.

And while I was aghast, pinned to this monetization of words, there was a commercial for Toyota playing on the sidebar.

No comments:

Post a Comment